The Trust for Public Land: Conserving Land for People
About the Trust for Public Land
The Trust for Public Land (TPL) conserves land for human enjoyment and wellbeing, from inner city to wilderness. The TPL has five initiatives:
- Parks for People: TPL works in cities and suburbs across America to ensure that everyone—in particular, every child—enjoys close-to-home access to a park, playground, or natural area.
- Working Lands: TPL protects farms, ranches, and forests that support land-based livelihoods and rural ways of life.
- Natural Lands: TPL conserves places of natural beauty that preserve wilderness for our children's children to explore and that support other species with whom we share the planet.
- Heritage Lands: TPL protects places of historic and cultural importance that keep us in touch with the past and who we are as a people.
- Land & Water: TPL preserves lands that protect clean water and the natural beauty of our coasts and waterways.
Will Rogers, head of the Trust for Public Land, once said: “Show me a healthy community with a healthy economy and I will show you a community that has its green infrastructure in order and understands the relationship between the built and the unbuilt environment.”
Posted January 2010