ARTICLE: Parksville 2019 Symposium – Make Where We Live Better through Restorative Development (Asset Management BC Newsletter, February 2019)
Note to Reader:
The Parksville 2019 2019 Symposium is a collaborative effort of the Partnership for Water Sustainability in BC, Nanaimo & Area Land Trust (NALT), and Mid Vancouver Island Habitat Enhancement Society (MVIHES).
The three have joined forces to host a field day on April 2, followed by a 2-day symposium on Water Stewardship in a Changing Climate on April 3rd and 4th. The daily symposium themes are Sustainable Stream Restoration and Restorative Land Development, respectively.
The February 2019 issue of the Asset Management BC Newsletter included an article written by Kim Stephens, M.Eng., P.Eng, Partnership Executive Director, in collaboration with: Paul Chapman, NALT Executive Director; Peter Law, MVIHES President; and John Finnie, Chair, Parksville 2019 Symposium Organizing Committee
PARKSVILLE 2019 SYMPOSIUM: Make Where We Live Better through Restorative Development
The Parksville 2019 Symposium is a milestone event on a multi-year ‘convening for action’ journey that commenced in 2004 with release of the Water Sustainability Action Plan. Parksville 2019 builds on the 2018 Vancouver Island Symposium on Water Stewardship in a Changing Climate, held in the City of Nanaimo.
Nanaimo 2018 was a ‘call to action’. The theme? Build on the good outcomes that flow from local government and stewardship sector collaboration! Nanaimo 2018 introduced a vision for ‘restorative land development’ that would re-establish creekshed function.
A takeaway for Parksville 2019 is that the essential ingredients for restorative development encompass: vision, strategy to deliver the vision, and commitment to implement an ongoing program. Vancouver Island success stories are beacons of hope. They demonstrate how a good strategy is the path to success.
To Learn More:
To read the complete article published in the February 2019 issue of the Asset Management BC Newsletter, download a copy of PARKSVILLE 2019 SYMPOSIUM: Make Where We Live Better through Restorative Development
For contextual background, follow these links to previous announcements:
- Backgrounder #1 – Professional Reliance Review & Restorative Development Vision Set the Stage
- Backgrounder #2 – Decrease Destructive Footprint While Increasing Restorative Footprint
- Backgrounder #3 – Local Government Partnerships with Stewardship Sector Can Be Transformational
- Backgrounder #4 – Root Causes of Degraded Urban and Rural Streams
- Backgrounder #5 – Next Decade of Drinking Water & Watershed Protection in the Nanaimo Region
- Backgrounder #6 – Restorative Land Development Results in Sustainable Stream Restoration
- Backgrounder #7 – Closing the Data Gap: Water Stewards, the Key to the Future