The Irrigation Industry Association of British Columbia (IIABC), with funding from the National Water Supply Expansion Program, has developed a new agriculture irrigation scheduling calculator. The calculator will determine an irrigation schedule for all types of agricultural irrigation systems and crop types.
Okanagan Basin Water Board
Water supply information for the Okanagan is available from several sources, including the River Forecast Centre, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Environment Canada, and the Ministry of Environment.
BCMAL Production Insurance brochures collage
The webpage provides information on programs that are available to offset drought in British Columbia. Links are provided to the Production Insurance for British Columbia website, as well as a web link for federal programs. To view webpage, click on “Read more…”
The “Drought Publications” webpage provides a list of publications and factsheets on drought and water conservation. Links are provided for you to access the listed publications.
Drought Strategies – BC Min of Agriculture
This webpage provides many links to agencies who devote some of their resources to drought strategies – in Canada and the USA. To view webpage,
About 97% of water licensed in British Columbia is for power production, including storage for power production. The remaining 3% of water licensed is for consumptive uses such as industrial, commercial, drinking water or agriculture
Within the next 10 to 15 years it is projected that the available water in the Okanagan Basin will be fully allocated. At the same time, agricultural development is also expected to increase, with potential growth in the grape and wine sector leading the say.
Some agriculture producers have expressed concerns that existing water rights on sensitive streams may be withdrawn and that water for fish will have a priority over other uses.
The agriculture industry in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia currently uses 70% of the water in the Okanagan basin.
UBC Okanagan is a partner in the NOGWCA project. This is a three year study funded by the Canada-British Columbia Water Supply Expansion program made available through Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC).